Saturday, December 31, 2005




A Small Note for Memoirs of a Geisha

If you ask me what inspired me to go to Japan? The answer is books. I read some books one years ago, but there are two books which I really like. Totto Chan and Memoirs of a Geisha. Both of them sets in Japan. Well, this time I want to write about Memoirs of a Geisha.

Memoirs of a Geisha is a novel which is written by Arthur Golden. This novel tells about how a child name Chiyo has to leave his village and stay in Kyoto to become a Geisha. The young Chiyo must have a lot of tasks in the okiya where she lives. She has to lived there under the pressure of a well known Geisha name Hatsumomo. Chiyo must join in Geisha training since she was child. This novel also views the complicated rules that a young girl has to obey to become a geisha. Her crush on Mr.Chairman makes this novel more interested to read. This novel has changed my mind about Geisha. Before I read a book, I thought geisha is just like a prostitute. But, I’m wrong. Geisha is more like entertainer because they must be able to dance, play samisen, and serve sake to the guess. This novel has described Japanese situation at that time.

After I read this novel, I imagined how this novel would be if it is visualized. Yesterday, I found the answer. Rob Marshall has visualized it in a movie which has the same title as the book. Zhang Ziyi, Ken Watanabe, Gong Li and Michelle Yeoh take a role in this movie, and they are great but unfortunately in some parts many players spoke with forced accent therefore their dialogue sounds unnatural. It's because the setting is in Japan but the novel using English,so i think the director has a problem with the dialogue. Anyway, I have to state that this is an amazing movie, the way Rob visualized the novel was so amazing. I love Kyoto’s view at that time.I love to see the beautiful Japanese garden (niwa) in this movie, it makes me really want to comeback to Japan again. I wish I could…………..^_^

1 comment:

gior said...

"Memoirs of a Geisha" is one of my favorite books. I am looking forward to seeing the film. I thank you for your wonderful critique because it makes me want to see the film even more!

http://giorart.blogspot.com/